Monday, March 3, 2014

Ides of March: Part 2 - The lists

So following on from last week's post, here is what I came up with in the end:



List 1 – RASK

Points: 42/50
Rask (*6pts)
* Bull Snapper (3pts)
* Ironback Spitter (8pts)
Bog Trog Ambushers (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Swamp Gobber Bellows Crew (Leader and 1 Grunt) (1pt)
Totem Hunter (3pts)
Feralgeist (1pt)


List 2 – BARNABAS

Points: 42/50
Bloody Barnabas (*6pts)
* Bull Snapper (3pts)
* Ironback Spitter (8pts)
* Blackhide Wrastler (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Gatormen Posse (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
Feralgeist (1pt)
 

Nothing too dramatic. I received some feedback from my previous post indicating I was thinking about it too hard and everything what super obvious, so just went with what I know in the end.

List 1

In the Rask list, I decided to go with 3 Posse after a little playtesting. I don't like playing Posse spam as much as playing with heavies but I'd hate myself if I took a crappier list to a tournament without very good reason, more than I hate myself for playing 3 Posse with Rask, and 3 Posse at 42pts seems really good. I do really like the triple heavy + 2 Posse at 50 pts though.

In terms of solos, I went with the Totem Hunter and a Feralgeist. I considered dropping the Geist and the Gobbers for a Croak, but figured a Feralgeist is a 100% dedicated scenario piece that would do a lot of work in that department for this list, and the Gobbers can always run to get a point somewhere if they aren't making Rask invincible, or block charge lanes or whatever. An extra ranged attack is cool but with a Spitter and Totem Hunter I feel reasonably comfortable with lane-clearing.

The Totem Hunter is there because he clears mini-jams like a boss with Prey, Sprint and Leap. His biggest weakness is tough, which as you may know I cannot do anything about. He can also do some serious damage with Fury late-game if he is still around. All around good model.

At 50pts with 3 Posse I would probably have another Ironback Spitter. Dem guns. Although as mentioned previously, I usually prefer a Wrastler/Horror/Snapjaw combo and 2 Posse at 50pts.

List 2

I went with Barnabas over Maelok primarily because I'm more comfortable with him. He is pretty good all-around, I like him vs almost anything that doesn't ARM stack. He's always fun to play and is one of the better designed casters around, not accounting for his faction's pillow-fists. Maelok is cool but at 42 I think he loses a little bit of pazzaz to Barnabas, and that pazzaz loss is only accentuated by my relatively weaker play with him.

I went with a Wrastler over a Swamp Horror, just because I like having access to at least a little bit of reliable punch in the list. Wrastlers can kill most heavies one-on-one if they can hit the Death Roll, which is worth something in a Barnabas list. Plus, Gator Rise Missile is something I haven't done in a long time. I miss it.

At 50pts I might throw in some Croaks, a Thrullg and maybe switch the Feralgeist for Pendrake. All the guns help. Or another Spitter. Or I'd play Maelok.


Stay tuned for Ides of March: Part 3 - How I lost first round and managed to barely rank in the top half!

2 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying this series JS - actually really interesting reading your debate of the merits of each choice with everything feeling like it's a crucial part of the master plan, hunting for synergies and optimisation amidst the limited available palette of options, crunching numbers. It sure as heck makes everyone else look incredibly spoiled for choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 42pts, man. It's like 35 except you just have more rope to hang yourself.

      Lack of Witch Doctor means I will get Harbinger-ed, Goreshade2-ed and Dahlia-ed to death every round now.

      Delete